Thursday, October 15, 2009

Suckling Pig Lechon


I decided to do something special for a small family get-together, something I had never done before. I thought I’d try doing a pig roast Philippine style on our charcoal grill in our backyard. After doing my research on line on how to cook lechon, I special-ordered a small suckling pig at a local market. I made sure the pig would be 15 pounds or less as the maximum weight my rotisserie could handle was 15 pounds. The pig we got was 14 pounds – just perfect, as the length was also a perfect fit on the grill.

It took five hours to roast the pig. We pulled it at 170 deg F. It looked delicious even before we carved it. My wife Louise made the liver sauce. I am ready to do this again!

Thanks to my son-in-law Dave for all the help. My daughter Tina took this video. The family dog Tekka kept us company throughout the roast.

3 comments:

Zack said...

This lechon turned out great, except the skin was not quite as crisp as it should be. Maybe that's just the way it is with suckling pig roast.

Linda G said...

Who cares about the skin? I bet the smell was amazing!

Carole said...

Wow! What a fun day that was for your family..did Tekka get a taste? Thanks for sharing, Zack. Maybe your next job will be as 'seamstress'!!