Friday, February 26, 2010

Go ahead, make my day!

In my high school days back in the Philippines I liked to hang out in the magazine department of Stop 'n Shop Grocery Store in Old Santa Mesa. I would spend hours reading their comic books without buying anything until one of the clerks would come and kick me out of the store. Stop 'n Shop introduced me to Mad Magazine. I admired the cartoons, especially those created by Jack Davis. When I could afford to buy a copy of Mad, I would select one that had lots of Jack Davis' work. I liked his style of cartooning. I studied it a lot and tried to emulate his style. Sometime in the '70's I saw in the LA Times a caricature of Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western garb; I admired it very much, and at that time I had a strong urge to copy his work but I was too busy with my work and my family. Just recently, I did a search on the internet for that caricature and I found it. Now that I have so much free time, I don’t have any more excuses. Here is my rendition of Jack Davis' Clint Eastwood piece.

No comments: