Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gratitude

By Carole Tarantino

Sometimes I am so amazed when something like this crosses my path and I have had the experience. On my way back from Pohnpei this summer, we had a few days layover in Honolulu at a nice hotel to de-compress, and our hotel had many, many soldiers, men and women, in transit, just coming back, and on their way over. One morning I rode the elevator down with a tall gentlemen in fatigues, and as we stepped out of the elevator, me first, I turned to him and wished him God's blessings and safety wherever he might be. His face showed bewilderment at first, then a smile, and I swear his eyes were misty as I smiled and walked away. How many times have I passed a person in uniform and felt too awkward to express my appreciation, regardless of the political posture? Many times, for sure. And I use this expression that shows love in my heart for another when I have not been allowed to speak to the defendant. No one ever stopped me from this expression.

It’s easy to just say thank you.

Have you ever seen one of our military walking past you and wanted to convey to them your thanks, but weren't sure how, or it felt awkward?

A gentleman from Seattle created a gesture which could be used to express your thanks and has started a movement to get the word out.

Please everybody take just a moment to watch..... The Gratitude Campaign ...and then forward it to your friends! THEN START USING THE SIGN.


____________
re: Gratitude
By Dennis Wharton


Last summer I was at a restaurant on the Jersey Shore with my Mom and my, at the time, 91 year old Aunt.

Sitting at a table to our right was a couple who looked to be in their mid 60's or so. The woman was wearing a Marine Corps jacket.

I asked her who was in the Marine's. She told me she was, during Vietnam. I asked her, jokingly, if she was called a BAM (Broad Assed Marine).

That started a fun conversation. Her husband was a Korean Army vet. She asked about me, and I told her I was in the Army during Vietnam, but, that my Aunt had been a Navy Wave (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service) from Nov 1943 to Dec 1945.

She got up, came over to our table, kissed my Aunt on the cheek and thanked her for her service. They were from Texas, visiting relatives in New Jersey. They left before we did, since my Mom and my Aunt wanted desert.

When I ordered, the waitress told me there was no charge because the couple who left paid for our desert. A special day.

Dennis
____________
re: Gratitude
By Herm Valenzuela


Nice vignette, Dennis, worthy to be read in the Post-Op section of the Saturday Evening Post. There is always a camaraderie when veterans meet out of state and strangers become friends even for a few minutes. However, some civilians don't care whether you served in the military or not.

Last Sunday I visited my cousin-in-law in Metuchen, N.J. I took the NJ Transit from MSG; I was late for the next trip so, I rushed in w/o a ticket and waited for the conductor to issue one which meant I have to pay for the whole fare plus a surcharge but not if one has a disability (half price- NJT rule). So, I showed my U.S.Veteran's disability card but the conductor informed me that N.J. Transit does not recognized a U.S.Veteran's card even it shows that I have a 30% service-connected disability. Not that I do not wish to pay full fare price but I was sticking to their rules. Finally, I took off my baseball cap to show the conductor that I'm a senior citizen and eligible for a half fare.

FYI: An active duty servicemen's or officer's service I.D. card is not recognized or accepted as a means of identification in any U.S. Post Office- go check it up. I "boil" inside me to the point of crying when I see this sign posted.

Herm
___________
re: Gratitude
By Zack Chavez


My 27 + years in the Coast Guard gave me the opportunity to see lots of places. In my younger days I did a lot of bar-hopping with fellow Coasties, and those were the times when being in the military made you feel welcome just about anywhere. We all felt proud and safe to wear our monkey suits when going on liberty. I remember a good bar to go was Stick-N-Rudder outside the US Coast Air Station in St Pete, FLA, and we frequented the place (that was before I met Louise). After hitting our favorite places downtown, we would end up at the Stick-N-Rudder for a one-for-the-road, and almost always, there would be a friendly guy at the end of the bar who would buy us all a drink and would always be willing to propose a toast to honor us servicemen. But those days are over.

Batan Island, Philipiines 1965, I was on isolated duty tour with about 20 Coast Guard crewmembers operating a LORAN station in support of our Air Force and Naval forces in Asia. It was intensive work when I was on duty, but liberty was a lot of fun. The nearby friendly town of Itbud always welcomed the visit from the Americans and me, the only Filipino in the group. We would bring several cases of San Miguel Beer when we visited town on weekends. The villagers would always have a feast for us, we provided the beer, they provided the food, the music, the dancing girls, and the local wine Paluk. We had to be back to the station by midnight per CO's instructions but we weren't concerned. The villagers always had a free 'taxi service' that would bring us back before liberty expired. It was a wooden cart pulled by a carabao. The Coasties who overindulged didn't have to worry because they knew the Itbud villagers would make sure they got back to the station before midnight. My isolated duty tour at Batan was not so isolated at all in the sense that the local villagers made us feel welcome and they seemed to understand we where there to accomplish a mission that agreed with their political beliefs.

Zack

No comments: