Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Mike Boys

By Loi Gillera

Some of you guys must have heard of "Mike Boys". When we're in our 4th year at Mapa, "Mike Boys" is one of those smaller teenage gangs whose turf includes the general area where our school and neighborhood is. What's unique with this teenage gang is that almost all of its members are sons of well-to-do families and schooled in private institutions. Most notorious of this pack is one named Peter Francisco.

One late afternoon, I was walking home alone and just about where the tall mango tree outside Mapa High in the junction of Hidalgo and Plaza del Carmen, Peter, with 2of his sidekicks pounced on me. I learned later I was mistaken for someone eyeing Peter's girl and the idea was to hurt me bad. They did not ask any question, much less give me time to talk. The blows rained and before long I was kissing dirt. Both my eyes are almost shut but in the blurr of the scuffle.

I saw 2 guys in khaki uniforms joining the fray. Coming to my defense, the 2 quickly drove the 3 in flight. One of this PMT cadets was my classmate. Either Elpidio Huarde or Avelino Galian, if I recall it right. I forgot the name of the other gallant PMT fighter. However, the thought of getting ignominiously clobbered, embarrassed me so much.

I started to avoid my PMT friends. To show up in roll calls became a discomfort. During breaks in formations I attended, I drifted away from everyone. My absurd attitude persisted until we graduated.

To you my valiant friends, wherever you may be now, I say thank you again.

Loi

No comments: